Tips on Cultivating Healthy Screen Time Habits with Kids
Updated: 5 days ago
In this article, I will be sharing suggestions on how to get your toddler moving and learning and help your toddler to cultivate healthy screen time habits.
Movement is important for the toddler’s learning and overall health and wellbeing. Playing each day helps the toddler build stronger muscles and bones and allows the toddler practise physical skills.
The toddler’s confidence grows when the toddler climbs higher, runs faster and jumps further.
The toddler will be able to…
- pick up small pieces of food between the pointing finger and the thumb.
- hold a pencil in a basic writing position at 2 to 3 years old.
- turn doorknobs at 2 to 3 years old.
- walk up and down the stairs using alternate feet at 2 to 3 years old. But the toddler will still need the support of a handrail or the parent’s hand.
- start dressing, eating with a spoon and fork, drinking from a cup independently.
- walk, climb, run, jump, dance etc.
Suggestions to get the toddler moving and learning
- Listen to music that gets the toddler moving to the beat.
- Try ride-on toys for 12 months old and above.
- Do puzzles and LEGO together.
- Bring the toddler to indoor and outdoor playgrounds to play. Watch over the toddler when playing to prevent the toddler from injury.
The obstacle to toddler movement
Screen time stops toddlers from getting the benefits of daily movement and play.
Screen time is the time the toddler spends watching television programs, using the computer, mobile or tablet.
Screen time can be
For example, sitting and watching television programs or viewing YouTube videos, or playing games.
For example, home-based learning by childcare or singing and moving along with videos of nursery rhymes.
Healthy screen time habits
If the toddler develops healthy screen time habits while young, these habits will help to make better choices about how to use the free time when older.
Parents can get start to
role model healthy screen time habits.
The toddler learns screen time habits from parents.
- Switch off the television, computer and mobile phones during meals.
This helps the toddler to learn about socializing, communicating and appropriate table manners.
- Turn the television or computer off after using.
- Do not always use technology to keep the toddler entertained in situations like long journeys or while waiting.
- Pack an activity bag with puzzles, books, drawing materials and so on to keep the toddler entertained.
set rules on screen time.
- Set screen time limits according to the age of the toddler and around family routines. For example,
Before the parent hands over the television remote or any electronic device with a screen to the toddler who is three years and below, restrict the toddler to one hour of screen time per day and no screen time during mealtime, bath time and sleep time.
- Be firm on the rules set. Do not give in to the toddler when there are tears or pleas for more time.
use parental control settings to limit screen time.
- This helps parents monitor and control the amount of screen time the toddler is exposed to.
The toddler will no longer be able to use the electronic device once the allocated time limit set is used up.
offer fun activities as alternatives to screen time.
- Bring the toddler out for a walk in the park or a picnic at the beach or play at playgrounds.
If it is in the middle of the day when the sun is too hot to be outside, try reading a book, drawing objects such as various shapes or bringing the toddler to indoor playgrounds.
- Bring the toddler out on playdates with a friend’s child. This helps the toddler to learn how to make friends and interact with others.
find out the benefits of screen time.
When the toddler is watching television programs or YouTube videos, or playing games, the parent can get involved by:
- Watch and play with the toddler
- Talk with the toddler about the game or program so that the toddler can understand better.
- Help the toddler to make good choices about what games to play or shows to watch together next time.
I hope all these suggestions will help you to get your toddler moving and learning and to cultivate healthy screen time habits.
What matters most to parents? Our most-read articles:
https://www.genesisgroup.sg/post/ensuring-holistic-child-development (Read 52,623 times)
https://www.genesisgroup.sg/post/what-to-prepare-for-infant-care (Read 23,028 times)
https://www.genesisgroup.sg/post/tampines-parks-that-you-can-bring-your-child (Read 11,902 times)
https://www.genesisgroup.sg/post/cost-of-infant-care (Read 11,246 times)
https://www.nurtureinfant.com/post/importance-of-a-conducive-learning-environment (Read 200,857 times)
Genesis Childcare 1989, one of the best Tampines Preschool and a good childcare Tampines, advocates that every child is unique and precious who needs to be loved and cherished. In our Tampines childcare, we have developed a curriculum which provides a bilingual learning experience, helps the children to learn the necessary skills and knowledge needed to help them successfully transit to Primary School with ease.
As one of the best childcare centre in Singapore since 1989, we are committed to nurturing our early learners holistically through various learning areas and positive learning dispositions. We place a strong emphasis on the way our teachers facilitate and interact with the children.
Teachers from our childcare Tampines or Playgroup Tampines are trained, qualified, passionate, dedicated, enthusiastic, caring and encouraging who love and empower each child to fulfil their potential to the fullest. Our professional team of preschool teachers has a good understanding of child development and learning principles. We apply them efficiently and set the stage to create a meaningful learning experience that supports your child's discovery.
The children in our preschool Tampines get to learn English, Chinese, Maths, Science, Music and Movement, Arts, Outdoor Play and cookery lessons. Our Preschool Tampines also provides balanced and nutritious meals for the children and helps the children to cultivate healthy eating habits.
We consistently create a positive and cozy environment that will give your child a sense of security which builds their self-confidence to explore the world around them.
We have over 30 years of experience in nurturing thousands of infants, toddlers and preschoolers.
Located alongside our childcare centre in Tampines is our Nurture Infant House. If you are looking for Tampines infant care or infant care in Tampines, do visit Nurture Infant House. It is for infants aged 2 months to 18 months old. You can learn more about our infant care Tampines here.
Lastly, would you like to visit our Genesis Childcare Tampines to find out more about our environment and setup as well as understand our operations by talking to our teachers and supervisor?
Genesis Childcare 1989 (Playgroup to Kindergarten 2)
Blk 433 Tampines Street 43 #01-63/65 S(520433)
Nurture Infant House (2 to 18 months Infants)
Blk 433 Tampines Street 43 #01-61 S(520433)
Opening hours: Monday to Friday (7am to 7pm) & Saturday (7am to 2pm)
Public Bus services: 8 / 21 / 28 / 29 / 293