Tired Signs, Impact of Lack of Sleep and How to Overcome
Updated: Mar 28
In this article, I will be sharing tired signs that your baby might have, the impact of lack of sleep and suggestions on how to overcome them.
Newborn: Tired Signs
Newborn babies may get tired if they have been awake for around an hour.
(1 to 2 months)
- Pull ears.
- Close fists.
- Rub eyes.
- Stare into space.
- Make jerky arm and leg movements or arch backward.
- Suck on fingers.
Babies: Tired Signs
(3 to 6 months)
The baby might be tired after 1.5 to 3 hours of being awake.
(6 to 12 months)
The baby might be tired after 2 to 3 hours of being awake.
- Fall asleep during eating, drinking, playing and bathing times.
- Cling to the parents.
- Demand for constant attention.
- Bored with toys.
- Fussy with food.
Grizzling and Crying
If the baby has had a feed within the last two hours and is grizzling and cranky, the baby is probably tired.
If not sure, offer the baby a feed. If the baby takes only a little milk and is still grizzly, the baby needs to sleep.
If the baby is showing signs of tiredness, get the baby ready for sleep by reducing stimulation.
It will be harder to settle the baby to sleep if the baby is overtired or grumpy.
- Take the baby to the place where the baby usually sleeps.
- Put toys and cart away.
- Talk quietly and soothingly.
- Close curtains.
- Turn overhead lights off, use lamps if need to.
- Play soft music.
This will help cut down on background noise.
- Remove food or drink away (if necessary, to prevent choking).
- No screen on.
Making Quiet Time
- Help the baby “settle to sleep”.
- Give the baby a gentle cuddle, read a story or sing or play softer music.
- Do an experiment to find out what works for the baby.
The baby might need only a few minutes of quiet time before the baby is relaxed and ready to be put in bed.
If the household is noisy and active, the baby might need some extra quiet time before the baby sleeps.
Does your baby “keep waking up in the night”? Here are tips for you to try it out.
What is the impact of a lack of sleep?
- Find it difficult to wake up in the morning.
- Fall asleep after being woken up and require the parent to wake the baby up again.
- Yawn frequently during the day.
- Fall asleep while feeding.
- Lack of interest or attention during the day.
- Increase moodiness and irritability.
How to overcome?
- Do not allow the baby to sleep more than normal.
- Do not allow the baby to have playtime that is too stimulating, including playing on electronic devices and screen time that leads up to bedtime. Keep the devices away.
- Put the baby down when drowsy, but still awake. Train the baby to self-soothe back to sleep.
This helps the baby to sleep independently.
- When the baby is sleeping in the same room with parents, voice, sneeze, snore etc can wake the baby up.
Reduce background noise to avoid waking the baby up.
- Stick to a consistent bedtime routine.
- Follow "a daily schedule".
- Phase-out night feeding time.
During night-time feeds
Put the baby to bed drowsy but awake.
Keep night-time interactions warm but low-key.
This will make it easier to wean your baby from night feeds.
I hope this article will help you to spot the tired signs your baby might have; all these suggestions will help you to cope with your baby’s sleep and he will sleep better.
What matters most to parents? Our most-read articles:
https://www.genesisgroup.sg/post/what-to-prepare-for-infant-care (Read 23028 times)
https://www.genesisgroup.sg/post/cost-of-infant-care (Read 11246 times)
https://www.nurtureinfant.com/post/ensuring-holistic-child-development (Read 52623 times)
As a leading preschool and childcare in Tampines, Genesis Childcare 1989 provides a comfortable, clean, well-ventilated and conducive learning environment for your child to learn, explore, discover and be creative. Our Preschool Tampines have over 30 years of experience in caring for your beloved child. At Genesis, we advocate that every child is unique and precious who needs to be loved and cherished.
As a leading early childhood centre in Singapore since 1989, we are committed to nurturing our early learners holistically through various learning areas and positive learning dispositions. We place a strong emphasis on the way our teachers facilitate and interact with the children.
Check out our Tampines childcare’s testimonials regarding the care that parents’ children have received at our Tampines childcare centre.
The children in our Tampines childcare get to learn English, Chinese, Maths, Science, Music and Movement, Arts, Outdoor Play and cookery lessons. Our Childcare Tampines also provides balanced and nutritious meals for the children and helps the children to cultivate healthy eating habits.
Our professional team of preschool teachers has a good understanding of child development and learning principles. We apply them efficiently and set the stage to create a meaningful learning experience that supports your child's discovery.
We consistently create a positive and cozy environment that will give your child a sense of security which builds their self-confidence to explore the world around them.
Located alongside our childcare in Tampines is our Nurture Infant House. If you are looking for Tampines infant care or infant care in Tampines, do visit Nurture Infant House. It is for infants aged 2 months to 18 months old. You can learn more about our infant care Tampines here.
Genesis Childcare 1989 (Playgroup to Kindergarten 2)
Blk 433 Tampines Street 43 #01-63/65 S(520433)
Nurture Infant House (2 to 18 months Infants)
Blk 433 Tampines Street 43 #01-61 S(520433)
Opening hours: Monday to Friday (7am to 7pm) & Saturday (7am to 2pm)
Public Bus services: 8 / 21 / 28 / 29 / 293