Plays and Activities for your child
Updated: Jan 12
In this article, I am sharing suggestions of play and activities with you to engage your 1 to 3 years old child.
1. “Who does our child love more” challenge.
- Put the child in the middle.
- Both mama and dada stand there.
- Count 3, 2, 1. Both runoff in two different directions.
- See who the child follows?
- Repeat three rounds. The person who the child follows most wins.
If there is a tie, play another round.
2. Play musical instruments.
- Buy a set of instruments.
- Introduce one instrument a day or a week.
- Let your child explore each instrument’s sound and feel.
3. Sing nursery rhymes and have a mini dance party.
- Hold a mini dance party at home.
- Play music you like, sing, and dance along with your child.
Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star
Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes
If You’re Happy and You Know It
Wheels on the Bus
If your child can’t stand yet, carry him in your arms as you sing and dance to the music.
4. Blow bubbles.
- Buy a bubble machine that makes bubbles for a long time.
5. Play with a ball.
- Roll a ball back and forth to one another.
- Encourage your child to kick or throw the ball too.
- Play “basketball” and teach him to throw the ball into a laundry basket.
6. Play with Lego blocks.
- Teach your child how to stack one block on top of the other.
- Build a tower and have him knock it down or help him build something out of the blocks.
7. Play with household items.
- Play drums with wooden spoons.
- Crinkle an empty water bottle.
8. Read books.
9. Water the plants.
- Fill a small plastic cup with water.
- Show your child how to water low plants.
10. Wipe surfaces.
11. Put toys away.
- Count each piece of Lego blocks as you put them away.
- Sort the Lego blocks by colour.
12. Hand Print.
- Take your child’s hand to touch paint that is washable.
- Put a hand on a paper.
- Ask your child, “What colour is it?”
13. Colour on a piece of paper.
- Tape a large piece of paper onto a low table.
- Use washable crayons to scribble colours all over the paper.
This helps to develop fine motor skills.
14. Play with stickers.
- Show your child how to pick a sticker up and paste it on a sticker book.
- Let your child try.
This helps to develop the fine motor skills of using his thumb and pointer finger to pick the sticker.
15. Pour water.
- Fill the cup with a little bit of water.
- Show your child how to pour the water into the bowl.
- Let your child try.
16. Squeeze water with a sponge.
- Fill a bowl with water.
- Let your child dip the sponge and squeeze the water out of the sponge into another bowl.
17. Visit indoor playgrounds or playrooms with pretend furniture and props.
18. Have a picnic at the park.
- Pack your child’s meal and take it to the park.
- Bring a picnic blanket where you can both sit and enjoy a meal outdoors.
- Pick a spot under a tree so he can lie down, watch the leaves move and relax in the shade.
19. Go for a walk near home.
20. Bring your child to swim.
21. Mama Vs Dada Challenge.
Lay your head on your child's lap and see how your child reacts.
If your child loves it, he smiles at you, kisses or smooches you.
If not, your child tries to move away from you.
I hope all these suggestions of play and activities will help you to engage your 1 to 3 years old child.
What matters most to parents? Our most-read articles:
https://www.genesisgroup.sg/post/what-to-prepare-for-infant-care (Read 23028 times)
https://www.genesisgroup.sg/post/cost-of-infant-care (Read 11246 times)
https://www.nurtureinfant.com/post/ensuring-holistic-child-development (Read 52623 times)
As a leading preschool and childcare in Tampines, Genesis Childcare 1989 provides a comfortable, clean, well-ventilated and conducive learning environment for your child to learn, explore, discover and be creative. Our Preschool Tampines have over 30 years of experience in caring for your beloved child. At Genesis, we advocate that every child is unique and precious who needs to be loved and cherished.
As a leading early childhood centre in Singapore since 1989, we are committed to nurturing our early learners holistically through various learning areas and positive learning dispositions. We place a strong emphasis on the way our teachers facilitate and interact with the children.
Check out our Tampines childcare’s testimonials regarding the care that parents’ children have received at our Tampines childcare centre.
The children in our Tampines childcare get to learn English, Chinese, Maths, Science, Music and Movement, Arts, Outdoor Play and cookery lessons. Our Childcare Tampines also provides balanced and nutritious meals for the children and helps the children to cultivate healthy eating habits.
Our professional team of preschool teachers has a good understanding of child development and learning principles. We apply them efficiently and set the stage to create a meaningful learning experience that supports your child's discovery.
We consistently create a positive and cozy environment that will give your child a sense of security which builds their self-confidence to explore the world around them.
Located alongside our childcare in Tampines is our Nurture Infant House. If you are looking for Tampines infant care or infant care in Tampines, do visit Nurture Infant House. It is for infants aged 2 months to 18 months old. You can learn more about our infant care Tampines here.
Genesis Childcare 1989 (Playgroup to Kindergarten 2)
Blk 433 Tampines Street 43 #01-63/65 S(520433)
Nurture Infant House (2 to 18 months Infants)
Blk 433 Tampines Street 43 #01-61 S(520433)
Opening hours: Monday to Friday (7am to 7pm) & Saturday (7am to 2pm)
Public Bus services: 8 / 21 / 28 / 29 / 293