How to Make Your Baby Laugh or Smile: A Parents' Guide
Updated: 6 days ago
Smiles are the first building blocks of warm, loving and responsive relationships. These relationships are crucial for your baby’s development where he learns how to communicate and show emotions.
It fosters bonding and attachment and helps your baby feel secure and safe. Your face is where your baby looks for love, attention and comfort. Smiles, frown and crying are the first way your baby relates to you. When your baby and you smile at each other, it releases chemicals in your bodies that make both feel happy and safe.
In this article, I will be sharing some tips on how to make your baby smile or laugh.
Reflex Smile Vs Real Smile
Your baby might start reflex smiling before birth and continue to do so as a newborn. It is short and occurs randomly like when your baby is sleeping.
Reflex smiling usually stops around 2 months after birth, follows by your baby’s first real smile response to hearing mama’s voice or seeing dada.
Your baby’s whole face lights up when it is a real smile.
What comes after smiling?
Once your baby smiles, your baby starts cooing, giggling and laughing.
How to make your baby smile or laugh?
1. Carry and kiss your baby.
2. Stroke your baby’s face.
3. Remove your baby’s swaddle.
4. Count the number of your baby’s fingers or toes.
5. Blow raspberries on your baby’s tummy.
6. Tickle your baby.
7. Stick your tongue out and your baby follows.
8. Put a moving toy in front of your baby.
9. Sing nursery rhymes with simple actions that your baby can copy.
10. Make some sounds like sneezing, coughing, ah..., your baby follows.
11. Use a spoon to hit pots and pans like drums in front of your baby.
12. Smile or laugh at your baby and your baby follows.
13. Celebrate your baby’s first sitting up, crawling, standing, rolling over, kicking and walking.
14. Play peekaboo with your baby. Your baby might reach out his arms, giggle and smiles. After a while, your baby might look away when he had enough play for now. Give your baby a break, play again another time.
15. Read to your baby. This lets your baby learns about language.
16. Carry your baby and lift or walk in the air.
17. Let your baby stand in your hands.
18. Hold a teether in front of your teething baby.
19. Let your baby sit in a tennis balls basket, throw a tennis ball to let you hit.
20. Feed your baby with cake, chocolate or a cold drink.
21. Bring your baby to sit, stand or tumble in front of the mirror.
22. Ask your baby to show you his muscles or belly.
23. Say “I love you” to your baby.
24. Put your baby into a jumper to jump.
25. Throw a soft cushion, softball or towel at your baby.
26. Bring a milk bottle in front of your hungry baby.
29. Pour a little water on your baby’s body using different size measuring cups.
Let your baby fill and pour water on his own.
30. Introduce new words like body parts to your baby.
Name each body part as you wash it.
Sing "Heads, Shoulders, Knees and Toes".
Ask your baby questions such as "Where is your head or belly?"
31. Play with different coloured toy ducks or animals.
I hope all these tips will help you to make your baby smile or laugh.
What matters most to parents? Our most-read articles:
https://www.genesisgroup.sg/post/ensuring-holistic-child-development (Read 52,623 times)
https://www.genesisgroup.sg/post/what-to-prepare-for-infant-care (Read 23,028 times)
https://www.genesisgroup.sg/post/tampines-parks-that-you-can-bring-your-child (Read 11,902 times)
https://www.genesisgroup.sg/post/cost-of-infant-care (Read 11,246 times)
https://www.nurtureinfant.com/post/importance-of-a-conducive-learning-environment (Read 200,857 times)
As one of the best childcare Tampines, Genesis Childcare 1989 provides a comfortable, clean, well-ventilated and conducive learning environment for your child to learn, explore, discover and be creative. Our Preschool Tampines have over 30 years of experience in caring for your beloved child. At our Tampines Childcare, we advocate that every child is unique and precious who needs to be loved and cherished.
As a leading early childhood centre in Singapore since 1989, we are committed to nurturing our early learners holistically through various learning areas and positive learning dispositions. We place a strong emphasis on the way our teachers facilitate and interact with the children.
Check out our Tampines childcare parent’s testimonials regarding the care that parents’ children have received at our Tampines childcare centre.
The children in our Tampines childcare get to learn English, Chinese, Maths, Science, Music and Movement, Arts, Outdoor Play and cookery lessons. Our Childcare Tampines also provides balanced and nutritious meals for the children and helps the children to cultivate healthy eating habits.
Our professional team of preschool teachers has a good understanding of child development and learning principles. We apply them efficiently and set the stage to create a meaningful learning experience that supports your child's discovery.
We consistently create a positive and cozy environment that will give your child a sense of security which builds their self-confidence to explore the world around them.
Located alongside our childcare in Tampines is our Nurture Infant House. If you are looking for Tampines infant care or infant care in Tampines, do visit Nurture Infant House. It is for infants aged 2 months to 18 months old. You can learn more about our infant care Tampines here.
Genesis Childcare 1989 (Playgroup to Kindergarten 2)
Blk 433 Tampines Street 43 #01-63/65 S(520433)
Nurture Infant House (2 to 18 months Infants)
Blk 433 Tampines Street 43 #01-61 S(520433)
Opening hours: Monday to Friday (7am to 7pm) & Saturday (7am to 2pm)
Public Bus services: 8 / 21 / 28 / 29 / 293