Hobbies refer to enjoyable activities done by others in their free time.
Hobbies do not include activities that are done in one’s mainoccupation.
Why is having a hobby important?
Hobbies are activities that can help one to gain new skills and knowledge. It brings enjoyment to one’s life and refreshes themselves with activities that they are passionate about. Such benefits are:
● Management of free time becomes fruitful due to picking up new hobbies.
● People gain more confidence as they become masterful in their crafts from picking up hobbies.
● People are able to lower their stress and make their life enjoyable.
● Picking up new hobbies can improve one’s social circle.
Why is it essential to have a hobby for children?
Picking up new hobbies helps children to learn more about themselves, their passion, strength, weakness, and talents.
Children are able to build up their confidence and self-esteem, while stimulating their brains.
It becomes essential for children as they will develop an appreciation for life, learn important life skills, improve their social skills, stand a higher chance of monetizing their hobbies, and explore new options in their life.
Interest and hobbies may sound similar. However, there are differences between the two words.
Hobbies require complete attention and participation to the activity. The activity done must be regularly with one’s dedication, in their leisure time.
Interest refers to the emotions and the want to educate oneself about the topics, for them to participate in the activity related to their interest, which can be a hobby. Income can be made from an interest, if one pursue a career out of it.
What types of hobbies can children pick up?
There are different types of hobbies for children to learn, either sports, outdoor, or indoor hobbies.
Sports hobbies are well-known among people. Children are encouraged to experiment with various sports before pursuing and taking it as their hobby.
Example of sports orientated hobbies:
Children that do not know how to swim are exposed to risk of drowning. Picking up swimming as a hobby improves their sense of self while ensuring that they are physically active.
The benefits of swimming:
● Learning about water safety.
● Decreasing stress on the child’s joints.
● It is an aerobic exercise, improves the child’s endurance and body’s efficiency with oxygen.
● Teaching the child about team work.
● Increase opportunities for future education, such as scholarships.
Football is a well-known sport by people. It improves the child’s psychological and physical aspects. The benefits are
● Encourage children to work with others.
● Improve the child’s ability to follow instructions.
● Develop their ethics in work, such as perseverance and willing to work hard.
● Learning to deal with defeats and knowing how to cope.
● Learning about sportsmanship and apply it into the child’s life.
Clinical evidence suggest children that participate in performing arts are physically active and have a lower chance of developing health issues. Such benefits are:
● Improved coordination, agility, flexibility, balance, and spatial awareness.
● Develop stronger muscles, better endurance and aerobic fitness.
● The child will have more self-confidence, self-esteem, self-motivation and physical confidence.
● Improve the child’s social skills.
Another well-known sport for children to pick up as their hobby. It is a sport that require fast movements and variety of skills. The benefit of picking up basketball as a hobby are:
● Improve the child’s endurance, balance, and coordination.
● Building the child’s muscle.
● Encouraging children to concentrate and be self-disciplined.
● Improving the child’s social skills.
Badminton is a sport that train and improve the child’s body coordination. It helps them to:
● Develop physical coordination, mobility, and good body posture.
● Build strength in their developing muscles.
● Enhance their vision.
● Learning about concepts for the child’s mental and social development.
Gymnastics helps children to be athletic with graceful movements. The benefits are:
● Growth in the cognitive aspect of a child.
● Strengthen bones and muscles.
● Enhance coordination and proprioceptive awareness.
● Learning about self-discipline and social awareness.
● Improve self-esteem.
Bowling helps children to learn social skills and develop their physical and psychological aspects. The benefits of picking bowling as a hobby for children are:
● Learning about mathematics from keeping scores and counting the number of pins to knock off.
● Reduced pressure in trying to score a strike for the child, as they can try again.
● Learning to improve their techniques from previous rounds in order to be better at knocking all the pins down.
Karate teaches children to be disciplined and respectful, improving their physical and psychological aspect. The skills they learn in the Karate class can be applied to other parts of their life.
● Children learn to protect and defend themselves with the techniques in Karate.
● Children have to be confident in their defensive techniques to pull off successfully. They are taught and encouraged to be confident while dealing with troubles, understanding that size does not matter.
● Karate classes enhance leadership skills in children, where they may coach or support those who are new to Karate.
● Karate classes develop the child’s character while they spend their time honing their skills with perseverance.
● Children will learn about self-discipline as they have to follow the correct technique in order to progress through their classes.
● The Karate classes encourage children to maintain a healthy lifestyle and body weight.
● Children are able to pick the specific martial art they want to learn, as Karate is a term for all the Japanese-style martial arts.
Rock climbing is an aerobic exercise that strengthen legs, arms, core, and hand muscles. Children are able to:
● Develop hand-eye coordination, fine motor skills, and body awareness, e.g. body positioning and placement of hands and toes.
● Learn problem-solving and decision-making skills.
● Build their self-confidence and self-esteem.
● Improve their contraction, focus, and patience.
● Lower their stress levels.
● Learn about communicating and listening skills to proceed upwards.
● Improve their social skills.
Ice skating is more than just an Olympic sport, it helps children to stretch and build up their muscles during the aerobic activity. The benefits are:
● Building up leg strength from the movements of skating.
● Improving the child’s psychological health.
● Encourage children to be physically active.
● Teaching children how to manage with failures and persevere.
● Developing the child’s contraction and focus.
● Improve the child’s hand-eye coordination and self-esteem.
Children should be careful when they are doing ice skating, as injuries can easily occur.
● Prepare safety equipment, such as helmets, gloves, good ice-skates, knee and elbow pads.
● Teach children how to land safely after falling. They have to bend their knees and squat if they are to fall, instead of leaning forward or backwards.
● Teach children how to stand up after falling. Children are to position themselves as if they are crawling, place their foot down and use the toe pick to prevent their feet from moving forward.
● Have children doing their warm-ups before ice-skating.
● Check if their child is exhausted, as exhaustion may lead to increase risk of injuries.
I hope the information available helps you to understand more about the hobbies that are suitable for children. As this article may serve as an aid to help you introduce various types of hobbies for your child to learn and pick up.
What matters most to parents? Our most-read articles:
https://www.genesisgroup.sg/post/ensuring-holistic-child-development (Read 52,623 times)
https://www.genesisgroup.sg/post/what-to-prepare-for-infant-care (Read 23,028 times)
https://www.genesisgroup.sg/post/tampines-parks-that-you-can-bring-your-child (Read 11,902 times)
https://www.genesisgroup.sg/post/cost-of-infant-care (Read 11,246 times)
https://www.nurtureinfant.com/post/importance-of-a-conducive-learning-environment (Read 200,857 times)
As one of the best childcare Tampines, Genesis Childcare 1989 provides a comfortable, clean, well-ventilated and conducive learning environment for your child to learn, explore, discover and be creative. Our Preschool Tampines have over 30 years of experience in caring for your beloved child. At our Tampines Childcare, we advocate that every child is unique and precious who needs to be loved and cherished.
As a leading early childhood centre in Singapore since 1989, we are committed to nurturing our early learners holistically through various learning areas and positive learning dispositions. We place a strong emphasis on the way our teachers facilitate and interact with the children.
Check out our Tampines childcare parent’s testimonials regarding the care that parents’ children have received at our Tampines childcare centre.
The children in our Tampines childcare get to learn English, Chinese, Maths, Science, Music and Movement, Arts, Outdoor Play and cookery lessons. Our Childcare Tampines also provides balanced and nutritious meals for the children and helps the children to cultivate healthy eating habits.
Our professional team of preschool teachers has a good understanding of child development and learning principles. We apply them efficiently and set the stage to create a meaningful learning experience that supports your child's discovery.
We consistently create a positive and cozy environment that will give your child a sense of security which builds their self-confidence to explore the world around them.
Located alongside our childcare in Tampines is our Nurture Infant House. If you are looking for Tampines infant care or infant care in Tampines, do visit Nurture Infant House. It is for infants aged 2 months to 18 months old. You can learn more about our infant care Tampines here.
Genesis Childcare 1989 (Playgroup to Kindergarten 2)
Blk 433 Tampines Street 43 #01-63/65 S(520433)
Nurture Infant House (2 to 18 months Infants)
Blk 433 Tampines Street 43 #01-61 S(520433)
Opening hours: Monday to Friday (7am to 7pm) & Saturday (7am to 2pm)
Public Bus services: 8 / 21 / 28 / 29 / 293